These crispy biscuits and candies are formed into decorative tubes and then filled with lightly sweetened whipped cream. For optimal cleanliness, make them on a day that is not humid or rainy.
unsalted butter, 4 tablespoons, cut into 4 equal pieces
granulated sugar, 1/3 cup
light corn syrup, 2 tablespoons
all-purpose flour, 1/3 cup
pecans, 1 cup finely chopped
vanilla extract, 1 teaspoon
Sweet whipped cream, see recipe
MAKES 27 COOKIES
- Place a rack in the middle of the oven and preheat to 350°F. Line 3 large baking sheets with parchment paper or non-stick silicone liners.
- In a heavy saucepan over low heat, combine butter, sugar and corn syrup. Heat, stirring often with a wooden spoon, until butter melts and sugar dissolves. Increase heat to medium-high and bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Remove skillet from heat and stir in flour until incorporated. Stir in pecans and vanilla.
- Gather up a rounded tablespoon of dough and place on prepared baking sheet. Repeat with remaining dough, spacing dough drops about 3 inches apart. Bake, 1 sheet at a time, until cookie bottoms and edges are lightly browned, but tops are lightly browned in the centre, 8 to 10 minutes.
- As soon as the cookies come out of the oven, use a glazing spatula to lift each cookie from the baking sheet and mould it around a 2-inch comforter. Let stand until the rest is set, about 10 minutes, then gently slide the cookies out of the comforter. Transfer cookies to wire racks to cool completely, about 30 minutes. Repeat baking and cool remaining cookies. Store unfilled cookies in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 2 days.
- To fill cookies, pour whipped cream into a large pastry bag with a 1/2-inch star tip. Press the cream into the centres of the cookies, filling them evenly. Serve immediately.